(Sorry, but I had to redo some of this. My English and writing was horrible.)
The other day it finally hit me, Against the Odds (ATO) gaming magazine is actually going away. With that, so probably will be going Turning Point Simulations (TPS), a sister company to ATO that has some remarkable games. I do have a couple, but today received 3 more that was ordered last week.
These games from TPS are based on one book, "Twenty Decisive Battles of the World". Originally by Sir Edward Creasy in 1851 (and only covered 15 battles that more than likely changed the course of western civilization (sorry, no African or Asian battles are included), the book was updated in 1964 by Lt Col Joseph Mitchell to include another 5 battles updating to the 20th Century. The book is available if you would like to own it from Amazon (where else). Without further interruptions, on to the games....
"The Battle of Midway (refit edition)"Chapter 19 of 21
and includes:
A full color 11” x 17” mounted mapboard and integrated battle display. In addition there are 176 large 5/8" die-cut counters with one 12 page rulebook (2nd printing). Also included are the various charts and displays. Skill level is considered advance though.
Plus included is the mini-game "A Defiant Stand" and the designer responsible for this is Paul Rohrbaugh. Yes, I know what the game is about, no I will not yak about it.
I have actually been looking at this game for a while now. Finally remember to purchase it. If it is the Pacific theater, I'm a sucker for it. And it is by one of my favorite designers. I can't wait for his other new Pacific area games to come out.
Along with this group purchase, I had to get another one of Paul's ancient games, this time it is
"Marathon 490 BC"
Chapter 1 of 21
and includes a a beautiful 11” x 17” mounted mapboard. We get over 200, 5/8" in size die-cut counters to wander all over the game map. The rulebook is 8 pages in length and of course the standard 1 player aid card. The game was design to be easy and of course we know this designer: Paul Rohrbaugh.
It is an interesting battle to read about and one whose name has become synonymous with long distance foot races, but also anything that is long played, such as D&D marathons, poker marathons, tennis marathons, tv marathons, etc.
and finally the last game bought in this group. All about "her", "She who must be obeyed". The lady herself "Joan of Arc - Victory 1429". The game is available as a refit, but to be honest...
I had bought a small mini game from HFDG called The Maid Ascendant: The Siege of Orleans (now you know where the city of New Orleans name came from, them smarty pants French) which covers the same part of the battle that the refit does from my understanding and design by the same game designer Andy Nunez.
But, hey if you are a completest, go for the TSP refit. Me, I will prob cry in my beer for not getting it, but that's me, as I will probably even forget ordering both games.
But this little game is worth the cost and mounting the counters. It is well design and from what I heard from the developer, it was fun to developed. Now when a developer says that, that to me means the designer had all the "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted and was a joy to work with. Well, that does sound like Andy (he's the ATO editor by the way). Anyway onto the game that started it all...
ah, Jeanne, Jeanne with the light brown hair...."Joan of Arc's Victory: Render to the Maid"
Chapter 9 of 21
and this does include an 11"x17" mounted game map. There are 200 die cut counters representing the many countries at war with France. There is even a 12 page rulebook with the 1 player aid chart. Skill level is "easy" and designer is again, Andy Nunez.
To repeat, there is a "refit" version available. And again, if you are a completest, please do grab it.
Well that is it. There are a few more I would like to get and maybe I will be able to buy before ATO and TPS are gone. It will be a sad day, but one I know Steve and Miss Cindy have been planning for a long long time. Good luck to both of you.
So, get off your butt and go to Turning Point Simulations and grab some these fine games before they are truly gone.
so long for now...
-ab
Yes, my fellow Vets are still suffering. If you know of one who is suffering or are suffering yourself, these are good folks. Not judgemental, as they have been there. Please, please, do give them a try not only for your sake, but also for your family. It is getting lonely not to see or talk with other Veterans. We are getting too few. That is all I ask.
This blog is considered to be a living blog. Changes will be made to it as needed to clarify, correct errors or update with new information.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Please, keep it real, otherwise it is gone.